Wednesday Night Magic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A private forum for a group of friends to change, alter and perfect our group EDH Metagame.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

banned list review

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
shhsneaky

shhsneaky

banned list review Empty
PostSubject: banned list review   banned list review EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Well, time flies when you're having fun. Hard to believe we're closing in on the first banned list amendment 2 months after we started this thing. It's time to look at the banned list. So we have 3 options:
1. Add a card. Players looking to pursue this avenue need to construct a post in this thread with the card they feel belongs on the banned list and present their argument.
2. Remove a card. Again, post here with the card you feel can be safely removed and why you feel that way.
3. Stay the same. You ain't gotta do shit!

Expect a rebuttal to any argument you present here. All i ask is you stay open minded. Remember this banned list is very young and all the cards on it never had a chance to be voted on. The goal here is to have a vibrant meta, the more cards we have the more options we have... Sort of. Remember that all the cards on here are very powerful and unbanning them might actually hurt the card pool. Example: unbanning maze of ith will make all attacking generals(yes, besides uril, Alex) worse.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
GarruksDeckMaster

GarruksDeckMaster

banned list review Empty
PostSubject: Re: banned list review   banned list review EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 10:02 pm

I don't know that i have any arguments to add any cards to the list. I really do not like time stretch, and would maybe only suggest we try the next two months banning it, and allowing mustical tutor back in, but since Mike is the only one who abuses it, its hard to say it's broken. I recall those two being one or the other, and i can't say that time stretch has suffered with the loss of the tutor. Switching the two might not be a bad idea just to see how the meta plays without it?
Back to top Go down
shhsneaky

shhsneaky

banned list review Empty
PostSubject: Re: banned list review   banned list review EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 1:39 am

Here are the potential un-bans:

1. Thran dynamo: here we have a very powerful card. 4 mana to jump you straight to 8, not to mention later in the game when you can play it and lose only 1 mana. However, i think it's safe to try. i feel our meta is becoming more and more hostile to artifacts as it should. Everyone runs them and they have been running around unanswered for too long. I have a couple basic criteria for determining whether a card should be banned. 1. Is it an auto include in any deck that can run it if that deck wants to be optimal. 2. Does it invalidate many or all other strategies, aka, does it warp the meta around it. 3. Are there no easy answers, and, how soon must it be answered before the game is over. Ramp has always been, and likely always will be a strategy. Much like drawing extra cards, playing extra mana bends the rules of magic and allows you to do things no one else is capable of doing. Thran dynamo didn't break either 1 or 3 in my eyes and the only way to see if #2 falls is to give it a go.
2. Mystical Tutor - this card was only added to the list because at the time we felt time stretch might actually be over powered. time stretch has not looked bad as your decks have become more and more tuned. I feel each deck still has room for even further improvement as we go further. the other reason is, why is this even a real option. Lots of other cards tutor time stretch, especially if we look outside of blue. In hindsight, if mystical tutor breaks time stretch then i think time stretch is the real problem. 3. Worn Powerstone - like thran, i think it's a perfectly safe card to try. I feel ramp is feared because the archtype is more explored, and the decks that play it, more tuned. I have yet to see a true aggro deck that's tuned to beat ramp. People call me a "spike" because i tune my decks. To me, this is truly the biggest part of magic: making a focused, consistent deck that has a game plan. Think about what you're deck is trying to accomplish. When you look at your deck, imagine what the board will look like as you win the game. How do i win? This will make looking at cards critically (in the interest of your plan) a lot easier.

Just my thoughts on the banned list as is
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

banned list review Empty
PostSubject: Re: banned list review   banned list review Empty

Back to top Go down

banned list review
Page 1 of 1